Monday, June 15, 2009

Quarantine begins!

Lisa and I arrived in Sydney yesterday and made our way to Penrith to the Log Cabin Motel. It is a beautiful spot right on the Nepean River and the rooms that they gave us have beautiful views of the river.

Our first job was to buy some supplies for breakfasts and lunches, once this was done and as this was Sunday and a rest day from training, there really wasn't much to do but hang out in our rooms and wait for dinner!

We decided that we would try the bistro in the motel and bugger if it wasn't outside. Thank god for patio heaters! Dinner was a quick affair and then we both retired to our rooms. I decided that a cup of tea would go down well and as I tried to fill the kettle in my room with water the tap blew off the sink with water spraying everywhere! I couldn't get the tap turned off quick enough. Thank god there was no CC TV in the room filming this, I was absolutely soaked! The walls, floor, everything was wet. I had to use one of the bathroom towels to try and dry everything. I looked in the mirror and just started to laugh, what a sight. I was able to put the tap back in the hole and actually use the water by holding it down with one hand and filling the kettle with the other. I tell you that cup of tea was well earned!

I must say that I had an interesting night with my neighbours having an all out fight at about 3am. The male was calling the female unmentionables and the female screaming back then eventually just crying. Luckily this only lasted about 15 minutes then all was quiet.

I had checked with the reception staff about a pool as I was supposed to do a swim Monday morning. They gave me vague directions and at 6am this morning I attempted to find the pool they had been talking about. Needless to say after driving around in the dark, I gave up. I did remember a pool in the vicinity of the Penrith Panthers Stadium, so headed over in the general direction and low and behold I actually found it.

It reminded me a bit of the Fitzroy Pool at home as it was outside and through the fence I could see the steam coming off the water. So I headed in, stripped off (it was only about 7 degrees) and jumped in the water. Oh I should have tested the water first...it was freezing! Apparently the heater had died in the middle of the night and the water was only about 20 degrees! I couldn't believe the number of people who were actually swimming. So I decided that I would try and do a couple of kilometers. I lasted about 50 minutes and I just had to get out.

Back at the motel, I had the hottest shower I could stand!

Once I was warm and had some breakfast I geared myself up for going to the dentist. Yes the dentist! I broke a tooth on Saturday and was able to find a dentist here in Penrith who was able to fit me in. He even turned out to be a Canadian! He fixed me right up.

Lisa and I are now going to head to a gym down the street and try to get them to let us use the facilities. I have been known to be able to talk my way into and out of things, so hopefully it will work. This will end the second day of our imposed quarantine...only two left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment