Saturday, June 13, 2009

Heading to Sydney

I have just finished off a tough week of training with probably the best row I have ever had!
I headed out on the Yarra River this morning at 6am with a huge number of other rowers from Mercantile RC. It was really good to see so many from the club out in force.

I love this time of the morning. The sky is pitch black at this time of the year and with all the Mercantile boats with their safety lights on, it looked like fireflies dancing along the water. It is the time of the day where you watch everything wake up, ducks, swans, traffic and the city itself. I was one of the first on the water and although there was a slight wind the water was fairly smooth and it feels like you are slicing through virgin water.

I had felt really tired but I was hoping to have a double session this morning, the first being in my single and then the second in an 8 from Melbourne RC. So as I headed out in my single I thought I would try to just relax, not overdo it so that I would have enough energy for the second session.

This must have helped because the boat felt so easy to move through the water and everything just seemed to click. I even heard bubbles under the boat which means that it is running quickly on top of the water! It was great to be part of a number of boats out together and before I knew it we had covered just over 10km. I felt so good and so relaxed it was great. When I got off the water I knew that I would be fine for another session.

Unfortunately for me the 8 didn't go out, so the second session for me was cancelled. So I met up with Stu my coach and we had breakfast to discuss the coming camp and beyond.

So as I sit here at home tonight writing this post, I am thinking about the upcoming camp and I look forward to seeing the rest of the crew. Lisa and I head to Sydney tomorrow to start our 4 days of quarantine, then our training with the crew starts on Thursday. We are all focused on our goal of racing in Poland and this is just the next step towards that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment