Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sad Day

Today I received a text message from my sister telling me that my beautiful cousin Marg-Rheta had passed away. She fought an amazing fight with cancer this year. Only being diagnosed in January this year she truly believed that she would get through this horrible, nasty disease.

I am writing about this on my blog because it makes you realise what is truly important in life. Yes we are here and giving it our all to win for our country, but then something like this happens and you realise that this really isn't important at all. This is not to say that I am not going to give it my all.

I visited Marg-Rheta in May this year after our selection trials, when my sister called to tell me that she was sick and not well at all. The one thing that Marg-Rheta and I had in common was our love of sport. She was a fantastic Triathlete and swimmer and was constantly trying to get her sisters to take part in a triathalon as a team with her. She was an amazing music teacher and beautiful singer, someone who will be missed by many.
I am so glad that I got to see her and spend some quality time with her in May. She was so excited that we were trying to qualify to come here to Europe and compete at the World Championships and wanted to know all about the crew. I was lucky enough to speak to her just before we left Sydney and even though she was in extreme pain was excited for us.
I will take her strength and perseverance with me. There will not be 5 of us in the boat, her strength will travel with me and we will have 6 in the boat.
Marg-Rheta you will forever live in my heart and I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment